August

 Monday morning I met briefly with one of my employees for a quick check in on how the most obnoxious month of the year is going.

 We don't dislike August, we dislike the behavior of individuals on obligatory family vacations which they clearly do not with to be part of. 

 They'd had one who wanted them to justify my pricing, who insisted that she was not being rude with her query. This is a luxury goods business.  I'd had a family arrive at closing under the guise of shopping, who allowed the children to play dress up with thousands of dollars in merchandise, left without spending a dime, and for thier fifteen minute adventure left my staff and myself with a three hour hide, seek and tidy game. I hope they made some memories. 

 Then there's my favorite, the person who is legitimately angry that we no longer have the one off item they saw last August, didn't purchase, and hoped would be available at a deep discount as obviously no one else would ever purchase that particular item. Angry that I sold it to someone else. Someone who loved it, bought it and paid full price without batting an eye. 

 This shopper has grown younger, they used to be eighty, today they are under twenty-five. 

 Soon, the not peak season vacationers will arrive, those who also wanted to avoid August obligatory vacationers, those who want to be on vacation, where they are, be it solo or with the individuals they are traveling with. I cannot wait to see you all!!

Comments